Cartoon Challenge - Results Show Part II

Monday, October 30, 2006

Okay, I can tell that I've hurt some feelings by not granting awards to everybody who commented on the cartoon challenge. It took about 29 hours and three nights of staying up until 3:35 a.m. to come up with those first three awards, but I've got to give my peeps what they want. So without further ado, here are the rest of the awards:

The "Cockroaches Can Live For A Week Without Thier Heads?" Award: Sandy. Every time I watch a PBS documentary on insects there is always a moment where the narrator says something wild like, "....and because of this survival mechanism, cockroaches can live for an entire week after losing their heads." and I think, "What!?" (the cockroach factiod is true, by the way. Here are a couple of websites that back it up Essortment.com and The Science Spot). I had one of those moments when Sandy informed me that there was a Saved By the Bell cartoon. Wait, what? There are animated versions of Zach, Screech, Mr. Belding, Kelly.....Sandy, I hope you're not too squeamish because you're the proud winner of a roach. If you need to get rid of him, do something other than decapitation.

The "Daniel Cabrera Oh-So-Close!" Award: Andrea. On September 28, 2006 Daniel Cabrera of the Baltimore Orioles took a no-hitter against the Yankees into the 9th inning before giving up a hit with just two batters left. After 25 stratight outs, he couldn't get the last two. Andrea came out of the gates very strong with the Smurfs and then scored major points with Space Ghost. I loved Space Ghost as a kid. You had the no-hitter going until you busted out The Snorks. Sorry, babe, but I've never heard of them and the intro on YouTube is...ummmm...weird to say the least.


The "Understanding the Origin of Hippies" Award: Barbara (Mom). We can all better understand Flower Power, Woodstock, Pet Rocks and how the entire decade of the 1960's came about by mom's choice of cartoons. What lesson does Yogi Bear teach? Nothing less than the virtues of being a lazy moocher who bums snacks off of other people. Heckle and Jeckyl? It's okay to sit around with friends doing nothing all day but being cynical and inhaling addiction forming substances. Fractured Fairy Tales? Cartoons (and therefore, life) do not need to have any common thread. Cartoons (and therefore, people) can peacefully exist on their own as free spirits who are independent and self-actualized, while still being part of a greater community. Kids watching this on a daily basis in the 1950's had no choice but to end up ushering in the 1960's. Thanks, mom, for clarifying this for me. How in the world did you ever end up as a Relief Society President after that upbringing?

The "Tom Cruise Jumping On Oprah's Couch" Award: Angie. When Tom Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch and proclaimed his love for Kat, the entire world did a double take at the TV and thought, "I am emabrrassed for Tom right now. He's really going to regret having done that once he sobers up". Every actor in the trifecta that Angie nominated - HR PufnStuff, Land of the Lost, and Kids Are People Too - must be thinking the same about their roles on these way, way, way out there shows. These parts probably don't show up too high on their resumes. The actors have got to be thinking, "I'm not proud of what I did in this show, but hey, I've got three kids and rent is due next week....."I've put an HR PufnStuff clip below just so everybody can appreciate the beauty of this little known television gem. It's also a Halloween themed clip, so enjoy your awards and Happy Halloween!

4 comments

andrea said...

Hey, Ang. If it makes you feel any better, I was just watching the little clip of HR Pufnstuff (is that what it was?) and Brandon walked up and said, "I like this!" You weren't alone!

3:54 AM
Sandy said...

Wow, I'm so honored -- I think...Even more spectacular than the fact that I know there is a Saved By the Bell the Cartoon is that you still know all the names of the characters...

6:17 AM
Bishop Sweat's mom said...

Drew - Thank you for giving me a belated piece of the awards pie! I am honored and humbled that my name has been mentioned in blogsphereness.

Now that I've been emboldened by my award, I know you'll be fascinated to discover my favorite childhood t.v. shows: Leave It to Beaver and Lassie - These are the reason I was a hippie in the 60's June Cleaver and Mrs. Lassie wore heels and pearls as they went about making dinner!

I will not dignify the Relief Society remark, as it is coming from Bishop Sweat - no doubt your zaniness is a result of watching C.H.I.P.S. and having an Incredible Hulk toychest!

XO,
Mom

12:52 PM

Yes! If I can in any way be associated with Tom Cruise's couch jumping episode, I'll take it. (I remember watching it the day it aired and feeling a slight tilting of the planet. "Things will never be the same," I thought. And I was right.)

6:47 PM