Bound on Earth

Monday, March 03, 2008

While this blog is a little off-beat and good for a laugh once in a while, I know that many of my readers appreciate quality LDS literature as well. For those who do, I strongly recommend Angela Hallstrom's debut novel, Bound on Earth. Portions of Bound on Earth have won awards from Irreantum magazine (2003); Dialogue's "Best of the Year Award: Fiction" (2005) ; honors from the Utah Arts Council (2006); and the Salt Flats Annual Emerging Writer Fiction Contest (2007).



This novel is about three generations of a modern-day LDS family and deals with the power of family and staying together in the face of trials. In a series of interconnected stories, you are able to see life through the points of view of a young man with bi-polar disorder, an older daughter who always tries to do what is right, and a mother who struggles with her ability to be an effective parent, as well as many other contemporary issues. Bound on Earth can be purchased from Amazon.com where additional reviews are also available.

More information on the author can be found at AngelaHallstrom.com. The cover illustration was provided by Anthony Sweat, and his additional work, both LDS and non-LDS themed, can be viewed at AnthonySweat.com.

In full disclosure, the author is my sister and illustrator is my brother. I am incredibly proud of both of them and am awed by their talents and professional abilities. Looks like I better start picking up the quality of the NMH blog. My siblings set a high standard.

6 comments

Carolyn said...

Would this be a good book for a book club? I'm thinking of suggesting it.

10:14 AM
andrea said...

As a big fan of the book, I'll give you my two cents: I think it would be a great choice for a book club. It definitely brings up a lot of topics that would make for great discussions.

10:32 AM
Heather O. said...

On the Segullah board, it was asked of Angela, "Hey, what did your parents feed you guys?" Whatever it was, I want the recipe for my kids. Your family is pretty amazing.

10:37 AM
The Little Sis said...

It's a good thing I'll always be here to keep this family grounded.

But in all seriousness, this book would be perfect for a book club.

12:03 PM

Carolyn,

You asking me if Bound on Earth is a good book club book may be like me asking you if BYU's football team should punt on 4th and 2 from their opponent's 38 yard line. I've never been to a female book club event, but have always imagined that they involve a lot of 7-layer dip, drinks spiked with Sprite, and pillow fighting. Is that about right?

In all seriousness, it would be outstanding for book club. It should generate a lot of interesting discussion around faith, family, love, trials, happiness, and how our testimonies influence them. Because of the manageable length of the book, your whole group could have it read fairly quickly. Great idea.

-NMH

8:51 PM
Sandy said...

I'm definitely going to have to find this book!

6:44 AM