Check Out The New NMH Daily Updates

Saturday, March 21, 2009

When I first signed up for Facebook last November I was afraid that it was going to completely destroy my lfe (read about it here.) Over the past few months I have been able to overcome my Path Words addiction and am no longer worried about ignoring friend requests from people who spent most of our high school days locked up in juvie.

While I no longer spend much time on Facebook, I still like reading the status updates from my friends. You know, the quick updates that say things like, "Brian is queasy after eating three Taco Bell chalupas" or "Debbie has HAD IT with the kids today!!! Hey - get that fork out of the light socket!!! Somebody call Super Nanny for me please!!!!"

In that same spirit I am going to start using the "Daily Updates" box on the right as a way to give quick 2-3 sentence update on my thoughts, adventures, and musings on a more regular basis. My normal blog posts are pretty long and I can only crank out one or two of those bad boys every week. This "Daily Update" will give me the chance to just shoot off a quick thought now and then without spending an hour or two trying to make it into a long blog post.

What do you think? Will you like this? Not care about it? Do you have any suggestions? Post a comment and let me know.

Like the site? Husband Hero and Grahamtastic Stickers help make it possible.

9 comments

Gretchen said...

Sounds great in theory. In practice? I'll only see it when you post a real post anyway. I only come to the site when Google Reader tells me you've posted. Unless you make your "Daily Updates" have a feed for Google Reader or the like, it's a lost cause...

9:06 AM
Carolyn said...

I agree with Gretchen, unless it can be updated on Google Reader, I'll never bother to check your daily updates.

9:21 AM
jeans said...

I too get your blog through an RSS feed (Bloglines). If you're going to write little updates, just stick them in a post rather than halfway down the sidebar.

9:45 AM

Good feedback so far. Thanks for the suggestions. The Daily Update would not replace the normal posts that you are used to and show up on you RSS feeds. It would give my regular readers a chance to check in during the days between my longer posts. More than anything it would just allow me to post random thoughts that I need to get off my chest but don't warrant a full blog post.

I'm also thinking of changing the name to "Dear Diary" as if I were a starry-eyed Mia Maid. Good idea? Any other better names?

10:33 AM
Robin said...

Daily updates are great cuz your sense of humor is great even in short spurts !! And good luck with the kiddos !!!

12:58 PM
Angela said...

That's exactly what Twitter is for. I get Twitter updates on my phone so that would be great for me. :)

4:42 PM
bioman75 said...

Angela has it right twitter is the best thing for what you want to do. so I second twitter. people can also get rss for their readers.

4:50 PM
susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥

5:46 PM
Melanie said...

I like the daily updates. Not everyone who reads your blog uses live feed or twitter.
I think it will be fun to have little doses of humor in between your regular posts.

9:35 AM